A LOT CAN HAPPEN OVER A COFFEE- Short Story By Piyush

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

*THE STORY IS A SEQUEL TO ANOTHER SHORT STORY TITLED 'A REVENGE' THAT WILL BE PUBLISHED SOON BUT FOR NOW, ENJOY THIS SHORT STORY WITH A CUP OF COFFEE*

“See that guy,” Arun told Abhishek.
“Seeing the mobile and a tensed face of his it looks like he is waiting for someone and that someone is with someone else.”
Arun laughed “Might be a girl’s matter.”
“Might…I bet it is...a girl’s matter.” Abhishek said with a smile.
“When I was in college, it was the girls who would be waiting for me not like this.” Arun said, with a pride.
“I see…” Abhishek looked at the guy sitting on the other table again and then said, “So finally he ordered something.”
Only then the waiter came to their table too.
“What would you like to have sir?” he asked.
“Two coffee please,” Arun said, “And sandwiches,” Abhishek added.
Both were sitting on a round table facing opposite each other. They then began talking about their works and discussed till the coffee arrived on their table along with the sandwiches.
The coffee shop had a loud ambience, may be because it was meant for youngsters or bunkers. The place was occupied with only couples or buddies; exceptions are the part of life. It had soothing dim lights glowing all around, accompanied with low volume rock music. It was as usual crowded and so the waiters were jumping from one table to another satisfying the coffee lovers.
Only then came in a couple. The girl looked 17 in age, wearing jeans-top, lose hairs and the boy or a man came in behind the girl. He looked elder than the girl, wearing plain shirt and pants. Both looked around for a seat and seated right in front of where Arun and Abhishek were sitting. The girl sat facing towards Arun.
Arun looked at the girl, this time more closely. She looked nervous or uncomfortable, maybe because of the guy who came along with her or maybe some other reason. Waiter came to their table and asked for order.
“So when are you leaving Bangalore?” Abhishek restarted the conversation.
“Uhmm may be day after tomorrow.” Arun replied, looking away from that girl and again looked at her.
Abhishek noticed that but continued,
“And when you’ll be returning back?”
“Next month probably…” He looked her and then said, “Actually before next month.”
Abhishek then looked down and did something under the table. Meanwhile Arun looked at the girl, and this time the girl looked away from the guy who was sitting in front of her and discovered Arun looking at her. Seeing that, Arun immediately looked away from her.
He took a sip of his coffee and keeping the coffee mug in front of his nose; he looked at the girl again and discovered that the girl was already looking at him. This time Arun continued looking at her for a second or two but only then she looked away. But Arun didn’t turn his eye away from her and waited for her glance, and in another second or two or three, she looked at him, till the order arrived on their table.
“I think the girl don’t like the guy who is sitting in front of her.” Arun said.
“What…which girl?” Abhishek asked.
“The one behind you,”
 Abhishek turned back to see them with a purpose of calling the waiter.
“Yes sir,” the waiter asked.
“Uhmm…” Abhishek was trying to say- “The coffee is nice.” Arun completed.
“Thank you sir,” he went away.
“How can you say that the girl is not happy with that guy?” Abhishek asked smilingly.
“Look at her; she looks so sad, so dull. More than him she looked at me, I bet.” Arun said and again looked at her from the corner of his eyes, “See, again, she was looking at me only.”
“That means there is a chance for you. You can try on her.”
“I want to…but how will I?”
Abhishek sat still for a moment and then took a tissue paper from the table and passed it to Arun,
“Write your cell number on this.”
“For what,”
“Write your number and then keep the paper on your lap and try to show the number to that girl.”
“And if…something happens…like she tells that guy that I am trying to do such thing then?”

“Then we’ll say that this number was never written to show her, it was for something else, why you bothered? Simple.”
“Are you sure this will work?”
“Let’s try.”
Arun wrote his mobile number on the paper, carefully placed it on his lap and he shifted his leg out the table just to show that piece of paper to the girl sitting right in front of him. After that Arun avoided looking at the girl. It became difficult for Arun to look at the girl now.
“Now wait for some time till she is able to read the number and type a message for you.”
“Are you sure she will message?”
“I think so…did she look at you now?”
“I am not seeing her. I am afraid to do so.” Arun said.
“Just look at her once, if she is looking at you then assume that she’ll message and if not then just hope.”
Arun gathered some courage to look up through his coffee mug at the girl, but unfortunately she was looking down.
“No…she isn’t looking at me. Shit.” Arun said softly.
Abhishek didn’t say a word. He silently took a bite of sandwich. Arun was frequently trying to look at her. And then she looked at him, her eyes looked as if she wanted to tell something, like she sought to talk to him, she kept on looking him and then smiled imprecisely. Arun received that smile as a positive signal and so he smiled back, trying to pretend that that smile was not for her, but the purpose for that smile was to reply her smile. The girl was looking down when Arun saw her the very next moment.
Arun’s mobile beeped afterwards. He hurriedly took his mobile in his hands-that shivered- unlocked it.
New message flashed on the screen. Arun opened the message.
‘Hi…’ An unknown number said.
“Someone messaged me. An unknown number it is.” He told Abhishek.
“What it is?”
“A simple ‘hi’ it is.”
“It should be her. Type a reply and send it. Ask who it is.”
Arun first looked at the table in front of him; the girl was drinking her coffee silently. He immediately typed,
‘Hi…who is it?’
And he replied the same.
“I did it.” Arun told him.
“Now wait…keep your fingers crossed. This next message may change your life.” He told and smiled roguishly.
Arun looked away in the direction of that girl. She looked down, placing the strand of hair behind her ears.
“I hope it is she who is messaging me.” Arun wished heartedly, still looking at the girl.
“So finally he left.” Abhishek said, looking at Aakash- who was sitting towards right of their table- who now got up to leave.
“Why are you bothered about him? Bother about me.” Arun said.
Only then his mobile beeped. New message it was again.
“It is from same number.” Arun told Abhishek.
“What is it written?”
“Let me check,” he said as he opened the message. Arun smiled looking at the message.
“What is it written tell?” Abhishek asked getting curious.
Arun looked up from his mobile, he didn’t smile now.
“It is she only who is messaging.” Arun whispered.
“Seriously…what she messaged?”
“She said that she is the one sitting in front of me.”
“Are you serious Arun?”
“Yes, she messaged.” Arun said excitingly and started typing a reply for her.
‘What is your name?’
After he messaged this he looked at her again. For a moment he looked at her but she didn’t and when she did, Arun passed a smile. The girl immediately looked down.
He waited and then got a reply,
‘I am Pooja and u?’
Arun looked her, smiled again, then looked at Abhishek, smiled at him and then typed,
‘I am Arun.’
“You owe me a party you know that?” Abhishek told Arun.
“You do owe a party from me my buddy. Tonight we’ll rock.” Arun said happily.
Abhishek smiled.
Arun looked her again. She was smiling- not looking at Arun but for some reason.
Arun got a reply after a minute,
‘By the way, green shirt suits you ;-)’
He grinned, and then looked at her. This time she looked him and Arun again smiled.
 ‘And u too looking beautiful in pink top,’ this was his reply.
He then looked up at her; she was looking at him, resting her head on her hands. Arun winked at her.
She got cognisant and sat straight right away. Arun drank his coffee, smiling from behind the mug.
 Arun texted her without waiting for her reply, ‘Who is the guy with u?’
“I asked her about the guy who is with her.” Arun told Abhishek, after getting the message delivery report.
“What she said, who is he?”
“Her reply is still to come.” Arun told, “She told me that green shirt suits me.”
“You are done bro, just propose her. Don’t miss this golden opportunity. And don’t miss a chance to give me a double treat for this success.”
“You deserve it brother.”
His mobile beeped.
‘He’s my senior in college…an uninteresting guy.’
Arun looked her and moved his eyebrows, then typed,
‘I had guessed your boredom the moment u sat in front of me.’
‘O seriously…how come,’
‘Your face told me that…’
 Arun looked up again, passed a smile this time for a longer duration and then received a reply,
‘U’ve got surveillance power dude!’
‘Only in some cases… ;-)’
‘What was special in my case?’
‘It seems it is…Ur pretty face.’
‘Omg, what should b my reaction over this?’
J Casual J
Arun looked up after typing, she was looking at him. The girl immediately turned away.
‘Who is sitting with u?’ she typed him this message.
“At least tell me what conversation you guys are having.” Abhishek said to Arun.
“On my way to impress her,” Arun told and then typed a reply for her query.
‘Same as Ur case…an uninteresting guy.’
After that Arun looked up and found Abhishek looking at him.
“What happened dude?” Arun asked.
“I am wondering what I should do now… because both my coffee and sandwich are over.”
“You want more of them?”
“No…I am already full.”
“So sorry dude, you’ve got to wait. My conversation is still to be done.” Arun replied and then looked at his mobile to see the new message.
‘So what do you do ARUN?’
‘I was a college student a few days back, now got an internship in a company. And you?’
‘I am a student, who is about to pass her college.’
‘Can I ask you one thing?’
‘Proceed,’ she replied.
‘Why are you with him?’
She didn’t reply for a while. Arun looked at her. She was busy with the waiter. Perhaps they were settling their bill or were ordering for more.
She looked gorgeous at that moment. Arun wanted that very second to get freeze. Now that was because, that girl’s purse had fallen down on the floor and she had to bend down. So Arun wanted that thing to happen. But the very next second she was back to normal position and saw Arun staring at her like an opened eyed dead person staring at the ceiling fan. She felt Arun’s strapping intent-look and immediately adjusted her pink top that was already adjusted.
‘Actually he helped me out in exams and asked for a treat from me…so…’
‘Sad story…would you like to meet me sometime after this story?’ Arun asked her.
‘Ya why not…but when,’
‘Tonight…:-D…’
‘I have to study. Sorry.’
‘Then…tomorrow…same time.’
‘College,’
‘Then you decide.’                   
‘I’ll let you know.’
‘It seems that you are not interested in meeting me.’ Arun messaged.
‘Well…may be day after tomorrow…cutie-pie!’
Well Arun’s was erected instantaneously on reading the last two words of the message. Imaginary fireworks exploded in his mind, he smiled and glowed and shouted in distinctive ways. The last two words left beautiful scars in his mind. He asked Abhishek to shift a little forward and showed him the message.
“Dude…one thing is crystal-clear; that she likes you. Now don’t wait more…just tell her what you feel about her.”  Abhishek was as excited as Arun was, or rather he was more.
“Ok what should I write now?”
Abhishek thought for a while then decided and said,
“Talk to her.”
“On phone,” Asked Arun.
“No, ask her to come out. And openly talk to her and make you way.”
“Will she come?” Arun asked nervously.
“She wrote cutie-pie for you…so she will come, without doubt.”
He looked at her then. She and her college mate had now got up to leave.
“They’re leaving.” Arun murmured in a troubled tone.
“Message her quick and then go outside to meet her.” Abhishek suggested.
Arun then quickly typed,
‘Please wait for me outside, I want to talk to you.’
And soon after the message was delivered, Arun got up to leave.
“Hey cash for the bill?” Abhishek Asked.
Arun threw some cash on the table hurriedly and went towards the door. Both had gone out already.


Outside, Arun saw her standing alone and her college mate was at the parking trying to get out his bike from the still traffic. Without thinking once Arun went to her. She immediately looked at him seeing Arun coming towards her with such a speed or anxiety.
“Uhmm hi Pooja…” Arun started, “I hope you are not getting late. Actually I didn’t realised you’ll leave suddenly so…anyways, I want to tell you something. Whatever we talked on chat…was really a memorable…I mean it will always be a memorable chat for me. You know I have already saved that chat that happened between us. And I’ll not miss to tell that that you are a real charm; a nice friend, a nice company. And I really want to meet up with you as soon as possible or as you said, day after tomorrow. And one more thing I want to tell you. I know you kind of like me, I was confirmed when you wrote me cutie pie, I…I…Pooja I really do like you and want to be…”
But before Arun could completely vomit his feelings, he was interrupted by a knock on his shoulders from back. He turned back. It was the same person who was sitting in front of the girl.
“Who are you?” he asked Arun serenely.
“Hey…I am Arun…her friend.” Arun told him with at-most confidence.
The girl giggled behind Arun. Arun turned back towards the girl.
“Pooja why are you laughing,”
“Hey you Mr. we don’t know who you are but I can guess what your intentions are, now before I start hitting you, just disappear from here.”
“Hey, hey, wait. I know who she is and I also know you. So please don’t get hyper. Pooja just tell him everything.” Arun told her.
“I am not Pooja.” The girl said and smirked again or in fact laughed aloud this time.
 And the guy without delay grabbed Arun’s collar.
“Listen…you…” he said in a strict tone, “Now one thing you should know, I am her boyfriend and dare if you tried this shit again. I swear I’ll smash you in pieces you dirty bit of pest.”   
“Karan, please leave him. Let’s just go from here.” The girl said.
 Karan released Arun’s collar with a push. Arun’s face turned gloomy. He was about to cry. His eyes turned wet. That was not only because Arun’s collar was being held by someone’s boyfriend but because many others also saw him while his collar was being held by a girl’s boyfriend. But why she did that was the question. Arun went in to tell this to Abhishek.
He came in, walked to his table and sat on the chair. Abhishek was not there. He thought he was in washroom and so he waited. But then he didn’t come.
“Excuse me, where is the guy who was sitting here with me?” Arun asked the waiter.
“Sir he settled the bill and went away.”
Arun was surprised to hear that. He called up Abhishek. But his cell was switched off.
He thought and then called up again but the cell was switched off. Arun typed a message,
‘Why did you do this to me?’ and he send that message on the number that he supposed was that girl’s number.
Abhishek’s mobile beeped. He was in the city bus. He smiled and checked the message. It was from Arun.
‘Why did you do this to me?’
Abhishek smiled again. Then he took out the sim of his mobile and inserted another one and messaged Arun.
‘Sorry bro, I had to leave. It was urgent. By the way what happened about Pooja?’
Arun received the same message but it was from Abhishek not from Pooja.
‘A lot can happen over a coffee.’ Arun replied.
Arun left after that.
___________________________________________________________________




2 comments:

Post a Comment